Sunday, November 26, 2006

Preparation Progress Report

In preparation for the imminent Kili trip, I decided to do some Christmas shopping in London on Saturday. (Un)fortunately, all the presents were for myself, and I just didn't have enough time to buy the other very thoughtful presents for my family and friends. I may need to organise another trip up to London...

Anyway, I am now considerably poorer, but have some excellent stuff – merino wool base layer, a little blue micro-fleece, very warm gloves and a big waterproof, windproof and breathable jacket. I also saw a sleeping bag which I decided not to get at the time, but having thought about it some more, I think I'll get that too.

I can thoroughly recommend the Mountain Warehouse just south of Covent Garden, which is having a clearance sale, so there is some really good stuff for very low prices.

I still need to sort out warm trousers, a headtorch and some sort of sunglasses that I can wear over my normal glasses (don't think I could fiddle with contacts in the middle of a freezing cold night), but otherwise, I'm nearly there. (I'm also probably going to give these... a miss.)

Jon and I have also been pretty good at focusing on the fitness side of things the past few months, so, despite the short timescale, I'm feeling pretty optimistic. We've even raised the crazy idea of getting up at 2am one night and going out for a long run, just to see how bloody awful it's going to be! Funnily enough, that keeps being put off till next time...

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Morris said...

I'm felling pretty optimistic...is that your Borat impression, Esther??
Sorry - ed

11:15 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

You can't comment on that! Now I can't edit my post to amend that typo, because the comment won't make sense... Oh well, let's just say that I was very tired after a hard session at the gym today, so my concentration must have slipped a bit. There, that'll do as an excuse.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from South Africa. I am part of a group do Kili in january 2007. I have realy enjoyed the humour on your site - great stuff.
Good luck with your ascent!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Andrew Morris said...

Esther - Mrs M & I checked out The Mountain Warehouse yesterday, and bought up the few things you'd left behind. Thanks for the hot tip
Andrew

2:02 PM  
Blogger Andrew Morris said...

Sorry, Esther, couldn't resist...I just had to amend the typo. So everything felling and locking better now
Ed

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home