Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mr Insomnia and Mrs Sleepy

Hope I sleep better than tonight on the way up Kilimanjaro this time next year. We're going to need all the energy we can muster, and a sleepless night on the mountain is only going to reduce the odds of a successful summit attempt

Insomnia:

Want of sleep; inability to sleep; wakefulness; sleeplessness

Difficulty in getting to sleep, esp. as a persistent problem

Habitual sleeplessness
Inability to sleep, in the absence of external impediments, such as noise, a bright light, etc., during the period when sleep should normally occur; may vary in degree from restlessness or disturbed slumber to a curtailment of the normal length of sleep or to absolute wakefulness
That last one is from Stedman's Online Medical Dictionary (27th Edition)....just in case you didn't recognise the definition
No idea why tonight's so bad...but I've followed the usual routine - trying every possible pillow and body position for an hour; hot chocolate sipping and biscuit chomping frenzy; mindless zapping of the Sky remote; random surfing of the internet - and I'm
still
W----I----D----E
awake
Gill, on the other hand, has no such problems. I can imagine her sleeping through the summit attempt and waking up mid-morning, refreshed and bouncy, as we all stagger back from the epic midnight start, exhausted, sleep-deprived and nauseous with altitude sickness
Did I miss anything? Anyone fancy a bacon butty?
Narcolepsy:
A condition characterized by frequent, brief, and uncontrollable bouts of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by hallucinations and an inability to move
A medical condition which makes you go to sleep suddenly and unexpectedly
Condition marked by short fits of heavy sleep
Come to think of it, Gill's sleep patterns are deep...but certainly not short. Once asleep that's her, gone until the alarm goes off or the world ends
I'm just envious, Mrs M. How wonderful to be able to flick a mental switch and know with absolute certainty that every night you're going to get a quality 8 hours of zeds

But don't worry, I'll make sure you're awake for summit day. It will be worth it....trust me

1 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Andrew, you strike me as a little diabolical. First you compliment me on my caustic (half) wit and then you make me check out your blog. Okay, maybe I did that all on my own.

I put away my crusty geezer persona for a few minutes and read through what you and your team are planning.

Of course I know there are people out there who are willing to make a difference in the world, but it's just so nice to read about and see something like your plan in action.

Best wishes to you and your team. Great blog entries so far.

Oh, and lay off the hot chocolate you fool, what d'ya think is keeping you awake?

Dale

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home